Re: Isearch in dired

From: René Kyllingstad
Subject: Re: Isearch in dired
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:59:14 -0100

* Stefan Monnier:
> > As for doing a filename search based on the current column, that is a
> > tad more reasonable, but still suffers from the "unexplained behavior"
> > problem.
>
>  Agreed.  For that reason an "isearch-dwim" command sounds like
>  a better solution.

As a side note to this: what about Rob Giardinas patch to merge dired
details into dired?  Toggling between displaying just the filenames and the
full ls -l details makes it very clear what is being searched, and it's
also nice for other reasons.

The patch was sent 2007-07-22 with subject "[rob <at> giardina.us:
dired-details merged into dired]"

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/75275

As far as I can see, nobody has posted review comments for the patch.  Is
it just too ugly?  Too incomplete?  Not an attractive feature?

The only annoyance I have with dired-details.el is that M-w copies the
hidden part too, which is not what I expect.  I'm using a horrible
buffer-substring-filters hack to prevent that locally (don't see how to do
it properly without switching from overlays to text properties).

-- René