RE: Isearch in dired

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Isearch in dired
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:13:28 -0800

> As a side note to this: what about Rob Giardinas patch to merge dired
> details into dired?  Toggling between displaying just the
> filenames and the full ls -l details makes it very clear what is
> being searched, and it's also nice for other reasons.
>
> The patch was sent 2007-07-22 with subject "[rob <at> giardina.us:
> dired-details merged into dired]"
>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/75275
>
> As far as I can see, nobody has posted review comments for
> the patch.  Is it just too ugly?  Too incomplete?
> Not an attractive feature?
>
> The only annoyance I have with dired-details.el is that M-w copies the
> hidden part too, which is not what I expect.  I'm using a horrible
> buffer-substring-filters hack to prevent that locally (don't
> see how to do it properly without switching from overlays to
> text properties).

I agree it should be added, and I've brought that up several times now, with no
response. The last time was 2008-07-24.

I brought it up also in the context of searching for filenames. With details
hidden, search in Dired searches only among file names.

Personally, I use dired-details with the details hidden 95% of the time. I use a
separate frame per buffer and automatically fit the frame to the buffer, so
removing Dired details saves a lot of real estate. If I ever want to search
something other than file names, I just hit a key to toggle display of the
details. No big deal.

Why hasn't this been added? There seemed to be agreement that it should be.

Wrt Isearch in Dired: This was discussed thoroughly over a year ago. FWIW, my
opinion about it was expressed here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-08/msg00518.html