emacs 23 : vc-checkin unable to check-in file not visited

From: Paul R
Subject: emacs 23 : vc-checkin unable to check-in file not visited
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:58:50 +0100

Dear emacs developers,

I noticed today that a change in vc-log-edit makes unpossible to
check-in files that are not currently being visited in a buffer. I have
used this facility before on emacs 22, a lot, to commit an Org-mode file
and its archive file (that one was not visited by emacs). I beleive the
incriminated line is :

    (with-current-buffer vc-parent-buffer default-directory)
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This variable does not seem to be defined if the buffer is not being
visited.

Also, I can read in the comments :

    ;; In a log entry buffer, this is a local variable
    ;; that points to the buffer for which it was made
    ;; (either a file, or a directory buffer).
    (defvar vc-parent-buffer nil)

In case this new behaviour is the new right thing, please disregard this
notice.

--
  Paul