Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:19:56 -0800 (PST)

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

  > Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  >   > "T.V. Raman" <address@hidden> writes:
  >   >
  >   > > Introduces a defcustom for project-settings-file -- rather than
  >   > > hard-coding the name, and if set to nil, arranges for function
  >   > > project-find-settings-file to do nothing.
  >   >
  >   > Looks reasonable.  I've checked it in, thanks.
  >
  > Shouldn't the variable be called dir-settings-file ?
  > The default name is .dir.settings.el and this is documented in a
  > "Directory Variables" section in the manual after all...

On second thought: is the goal of this change just to disable the search
for .dir-settings.el ?

If yes, then maybe another variable should be used for that.

If no, what is the advantage of having this name customizable?
What happens if different projects using different names?
It seems that it would just bring in complications...