Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:55:19 +0100

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 18:28, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

> Then shouldn't we first wait for such people to say that they want such
> a feature and show us why?

As a first datapoint, ".dir-settings.el" is ugly as hell to my eyes. I
wouldn't dream of having Emacs-specific files in a source tree and not
naming them ".emacs-WHATEVER".

> Adding more knobs to turn just increases the complexity of emacs...

You could use the same argument against savehist-file,
bookmark-default-file, recentf-save-file, etc. The fact is, we have
lots of that kind of variables because configuration file's names is
something people cares about a lot (witness a recent help-emacs thread
were the OP wanted to change not only .emacs.d/, but the name of
.emacs / init.el).

  Juanma