Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:48:25 -0800 (PST)

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > >   > I think it's generally good policy to avoid hardcoding file names.
  > >
  > > But general policy should not be applied without thinking about the
  > > particulars of each case.  As Tom said, there were some long
  > > discussions about this, and I think that the opposite conclusion was
  > > reached _for this particular case_.  Just undoing that decision
  > > without reviewing the previous discussions on this does not seem like
  > > a good idea.
  >
  > I can't seem to find the discussion.  Could you point me to it?

I don't have anything handy, I'd guess that searching for
.dir-settings.el and Tom's name should be good enough.

  > (Even if we decide to hardcode the name, which I'm not convinced about,
  > there needs to be a comment in the code explaining why.)

Say one works on
emacs  -- that has (not now, but we should add it) .dir-settings.el that sets
c-set-style to "gnu"
linux  -- that might have .dir-settings.el that sets c-set-style to "linux"
.emacs that sets project-settings-file to "my-cool-name-for-project-settings.el"
my-own-project  -- that has my-cool-name-for-project-settings.el that
                   sets c-set-style to "k&r"

after that when working in my-own-project the C style is set correctly,
and it is silently ignored for emacs and linux.  Sort of defeats the
purpose of having this.