Re: emacsclient's option decoding code

From: mail
Subject: Re: emacsclient's option decoding code
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:27:43 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden
>> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:29:46 -0700
>>
>> if :0.0 is miles away, the user almost certainly *doesn't* want to pop
>> up random windows on it. On the other hand, if it's right next to him,
>> he can quite easily set DISPLAY and try again. If the environment of
>> emacsclient doesn't include a DISPLAY, then emacsclient should not
>> arbitrarily use another DISPLAY.
>
> It's not just another DISPLAY, it's the default DISPLAY.
>
> The general idea is, if you cannot do something fancy, do it less
> fancy.

But the default DISPLAY *is* just another display. What if I run my
normal X session in a VNC? Then the "default" display may well be :10.0 and
:0.0 could be anyone's display. What if I've ssh'd into a computer where
somebody else is running X and tried to run emacsclient? Relying on me
not having enough permissions to create a window on somebody else's
display in order to prevent the wrong thing from happening seems a bit
iffy.

My point is that trying to decide on a reasonable situation to fall back
to depends on both the client's environment and the server's
environment, so trying to be too smart about it on either one is
dangerous.

--
share, n.:
        To give in, endure humiliation.