Re: space, M-x

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: space, M-x
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:39:25 +0900

Jim Blandy writes:
 > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
 > > Jim Blandy writes:
 > >
 > >  > Perhaps what you're after here is having Emacs's M-x history behave a
 > >  > bit more like bash's command history, where stepping back into the
 > >  > history retrieves both a command and its arguments.
 > >
 > > I use C-x ESC ESC (repeat-complex-command) for that.
 >
 > Right; I never got into that, but it's exactly what's called for.
 > What's missing is completion as one edits the arguments.  :)

M-TAB works for me most of the time.  However, that *is* a pretty big
step back from the completion you get with most commands, I admit.

It should be possible for repeat-complex-command to have position-
sensitive completion based on the interactive spec (if one exists) of
the closest enclosing function call.  An alternative would be to do
the same thing, but only for the top-level call.  The basic idea for
top-level would be instead of princ'ing the whole sexp, treat it as a
list and wrap each element of the list in a field as you princ it.
Then the field would have a keymap and a history/completion list.
(How history would be maintained is an exercise for the reader, I'm
way too lazy to even *think* about it today. :-)

I have no time to work on this, though.