Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 01:31:51 +0200

>> I agree with Juanma that the name .dir-settings.el is "ugly as hell".
>> Perhaps this is the reason why users want to customize it.
>
> The admin subdir "CVS" has a name that's very troublesome, yet CVS
> offers no way to change it, and it's a good thing.
>
> If you want to change .dir-settings.el, the say so and re-open the
> discussion about the choice.  But making it customizable is wrong.

I propose to do two things:

1. change `project-settings-file' from defcustom to defvar,
   thus making it non-customizable, but still leaving a way to
   modify it for knowledgeable people when necessary;

2. find a better file name that it both short and easy to connect
   to the Emacs feature that uses it.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/