Re: Reviewing changes

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Reviewing changes
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:06:07 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> As an aside: it's very difficult to review & respond to commits to
>> Emacs, because the ChangeLog entry arrives in a separate email from the
>> diff.  If the change package were kept intact (i.e., arrived as one
>> email, the way every other project in the universe does it)
>
> ChangeLog changes arriving separately is just a particular case of a
> more general phenomenon: that each file's changes arrive separately,
> even if they all belong to the same changeset.  CVS simply doesn't
> support anything else.  But you already knew that, I'm sure.

I thought log-accum.pl was the answer to this, in CVS-land?  (It's been
a long time since I set up a CVS repository, so my memory might be
faulty...)  IIRC, log-accum at least sends one email for all the changes
in a given directory, which would cover the common case for us.  That
would be much better than the current situation, even if not perfect.

> A formal review system was suggested a couple of times to core
> maintainers, but was rejected each time.  Until we have some
> conventions on such reviews, there's no sense IMO to insist on VCS
> changes to support it.

Why let the perfect be the enemy of the good?

We don't need to have a fully-specified, formal review system to benefit
from more frequent informal reviews.  Many projects get by on just
having the diff+log appear in the same email -- then the review "system"
is simply people reading their email.  It works quite well.

I'm not against a more formal system; I just don't see how it's a
prerequisite for incrementally improving what we have.

-Karl