Re: proposition about bookmark-buffer-file-name in bookmark.el

From: Toru TSUNEYOSHI
Subject: Re: proposition about bookmark-buffer-file-name in bookmark.el
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:15:10 +0900

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Fogel" <address@hidden>
To: "Toru TSUNEYOSHI" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:21 AM

> "Toru TSUNEYOSHI" <address@hidden> writes:
> >> This sounds reasonable to me, but could you give examples of what the
> >> new names would look like for those kinds of bookmarks?
> >
> > Sorry, I can't understand you clearly.
>
> What I meant was, could you describe the effect your change will have?
> I mean the effect that will be visible to users.

Thanks. I have understood clearly.

The effect is as same as description about `bookmark-buffer-file-name'
in bookmark.el on Emacs 22.3.1. In short, "shorter and portable".

comment about `bookmark-buffer-file-name' in bookmark.el on Emacs 22.3.1:
   (buffer-file-name
    ;; Abbreviate the path, both so it's shorter and so it's more
    ;; portable.  E.g., the user's home dir might be a different
    ;; path on different machines, but "~/" will still reach it.
    (abbreviate-file-name buffer-file-name))

> > examples of `bookmark-buffer-file-name' processing:
> >
> >   case:
> >     home directory:  "d:/home/user/"
> >     dired-directory: "d:/home/user/xyz/"
> >
> >     (bookmark-buffer-file-name)
> >     now
> >       => "d:/home/user/xyz/"
> >     wish
> >       => "~/xyz/"
>
> This looks good to me!
>
> >> (By the way, expressing the proposed change in 'patch' format is
> >> probably the most precise way to communicate it.)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> -Karl
> >
> > Yes.
> > I use `defadvice' in practice.
> > But I made a patch for bookmark.el temporarily.
>
> Can you post that patch?

I have already attached it in my previous email. Please check it.