Re: isearch and M-y/C-y

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: isearch and M-y/C-y
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:09:53 +0900

Miles Bader writes:

 > I agree -- in general -- but it's kind of hard to imagine that many
 > people use C-k to exit isearch ... it's seems pretty unlikely the point
 > will be correctly placed for that command to be very useful.

Well, true if you're searching for something semantically meaningful.

But C-s <chars I see near the position I want to go to> is the
keyboard analog to pointing with the mouse, and it has the advantage
that things don't even have to be on-screen.  For example, if I want
to copy a sexp starting with "(x" I've seen later in the file I often
use "C-s ( x C-r C-k C-y C-u C-SPC".

I call this "What You Saw Is What You Get" navigation, and I way
prefer it to other interpretations of WYSIWYG. ;-)