Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:08:49 -0500

Chong Yidong wrote:
Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

why on earth does C-x C-b and C-x C-f ask me to confirm when I wish to
open a new buffer/file?
So as to help prevent doing it by mistake when you mistyped.
Set confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer to nil to get back the old
behavior (or just hit RET twice, of course).

I see, I didn't realize you intended to make it the default.

I don't think it's a good default.  With minibuffer completion, typing
mistakes don't happen all that often, and it can be disconcerting to
have a RET rejected.  You might argue that it's no big deal to type a
second RET, but it's similarly no big deal to kill the buffer and try
again in the very few occasions that you make a mistake.

I often have dozens of buffers open, including "foo.lisp" and "foos/" and completion is not the panacea.
it IS a big deal to have to kill the buffer:
with confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer = t:
C-x b fo TAB [expands to "foo"] RET [confirm?] . TAB RET ==> foo.lisp
with confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer = nil:
C-x b fo TAB [expands to "foo"] RET [new buffer] C-x k RET C-x b Up . TAB RET ==> foo.lisp