Re: menu-item, help-echo conventions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: menu-item, help-echo conventions
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:33:23 -0500

> There seem to be some (unwritten?) conventions for menu-items and
> their help texts:

> i) Capitalize all non-trivial words in a menu item. E.g. in "Files":
> "New Frame on Display".

I actually dislike this convention.  I'd rather use "New frame on
display" so we can use capitalization where it matters.

> ii) In menu-item help text, start with a capital, use the imperative,
> don't end with a full-stop; e.g. "Insert another file into current
> buffer".

Yes, that sounds right.  I don't care much after the full stop, but it's
good to standardize its presence or absence.

> Some other things are inconsistent, e.g. in the "Options" menu, the
> help-text for Auto Fill uses a capital "Mode", but in the entry for
> "Blinking Cursor", a lower-case "mode" is used. It seems the latter is
> preferred?

Lower case "mode" is indeed the preferred form.

> Obviously not critical, but if the above are the actual conventions,
> it would be nice to document them somewhere (tips.texi?), and to fix
> incorrect instances as they are noticed.

Yes, it would be good to document at least the parts that we agree on,
and to fix the inconsistencies.

        Stefan