Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:23:49 +0000

Hi, Yidong and Stefan, and everybody else!

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:07:53PM -0500, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:

> > I often have dozens of buffers open, including "foo.lisp" and "foos/"
> > and completion is not the panacea.
> > it IS a big deal to have to kill the buffer:
> > with confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer = t:
> > C-x b fo TAB [expands to "foo"] RET [confirm?] . TAB RET ==> foo.lisp
> > with confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer = nil:
> > C-x b fo TAB [expands to "foo"] RET [new buffer] C-x k RET C-x b Up
> > . TAB RET ==> foo.lisp

> Sure, there are usage patterns that are going to be helped by this
> change in defaults; and there are usage patterns that are going to be
> hindered.  But I don't think it's obvious that either dominate.  Because
> of that, this feature's inconsistency with the old minibuffer behavior
> indicates that the default should be nil, I think.  Unless someone can
> come up with a better way to do this.

After a tab, how about prompting only when an incomplete completion has
just been <ret>ted?

I've not tried it, but I think having to type another <ret> would
irritate me quite a lot, even though I quite often hit <ret> on an
incomplete completion.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).