Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:45:08 +0200

> First try it for a month with an open mind.

I tried this feature with an open mind, and there is a case where
it fails for me.  I often create temporary buffers (usually with
short names like a1, a2, a3) to edit small pieces of text copied
from elsewhere (to copy them back after editing or save to a file).
To do this I quickly type `C-x b a3 RET C-y' to yank the text into
a new temporary buffer, but with confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer=t
the text gets yanked into the minibuffer.

OTOH, I never mistakenly switch to nonexistent buffers because when
I need to switch to an existing buffer, I check its name by reading it
in the minibuffer before typing RET.

So I guess a confirmation is useful only for people who too quickly
switch between buffers.  Trying to find a good default for everyone,
how about the following?  When a completion is incomplete, display
a message after TAB:

  Prompt: foo [Incomplete]

--
Juri Linkov