CVS version: message mode + flyspell terribly slow

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: CVS version: message mode + flyspell terribly slow
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:44:21 +0100

It seems as if emacs 23 is under some circumstances a lot slower than 22.2.
I'm using CVS version under Solaris 5.8.
A good example is message-mode (from Gnus) together with flyspell.
1. start CVS version: emacs -Q
2. C-x C-f <message_file>
3. M-x message-mode
4. M-x flyspell-mode
Now editing, even cursor movement (forward-char, backward-char), is
unbearably slow.

How can I figure out what's causing this?

BTW that is not the only case where emacs 23 is slower than 22.2, I have a
feeling that the CVS version is a bit slower in general.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Alcatel-Lucent               |
|  Email:             address@hidden  |
---
Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms. -- Groucho Marx