Re: CVS version: message mode + flyspell terribly slow

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: CVS version: message mode + flyspell terribly slow
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:28:07 -0500

Klaus Zeitler <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems as if emacs 23 is under some circumstances a lot slower than 22.2.
> I'm using CVS version under Solaris 5.8.
> A good example is message-mode (from Gnus) together with flyspell.
> 1. start CVS version: emacs -Q
> 2. C-x C-f <message_file>
> 3. M-x message-mode
> 4. M-x flyspell-mode
> Now editing, even cursor movement (forward-char, backward-char), is
> unbearably slow.
>
> How can I figure out what's causing this?

This may be related to bug#895, "slow processing of process output":

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=895

If you can reproduce the slowness reliably, and have some time to spare,
could you please try rolling back CVS revisions to see when this problem
first appeared?

One possibility is that it is related to the Unicode changes, so I
suggest first trying a revision from early February, and comparing it to
a revision from late January.  (The Unicode merge happened on Feb 1.)