Re: hash-table-{to, from}-alist

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: hash-table-{to, from}-alist
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:57:19 -0500

RMS> #s(hash-table size 1 data (x x-value))

RMS> Being compatible with that seems like a good idea,
RMS> if there is no obstacle.

> The equality test is necessary if it was given originally (meaning, if
> it's not 'eql).  I don't think we should ever omit it, even if it's the
> default value, for readability.

I don't see any reason to treat this specially, actually.

> The :weakness, :rehash-size, and :rehash-threshold options to
> make-hash-table, can probably be omitted when they are the defaults.

Indeed.

> Would this work?
> #s(hash-table size 2 test equal data (k1 v1) (k2 v2))
> Finally, the size is just a hint with make-hash-table; should the (read)
> allow wrong sizes or throw an error?

I don't know what "size" is meant to represent in XEmacs's or CL's use
of this representation.  Is it the expected average number of elements
in the table?  or the expected max number of elements?  or the current
number of elements?

        Stefan