Re: [feature request] epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: [feature request] epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption timeout.
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 03:43:56 +0900

>>>>> In <address@hidden>
>>>>>   Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:45:16 +0800 anhnmncb <address@hidden> wrote:

a> symmetric file encryption is enough for me :)

> ping...  If Daiki Ueno is not interested I can implement this, but I
> wanted to give him a chance to do it since his coding style is pretty
> different from mine.

If you do want to implement this, you should consider:

- At the moment I'd rather recommend users to use public-key encryption
instead of symmetric encryption if they want passphrase caching, since
they will benefit from gpg-agent which utilizes secure memory.  So it's
intensional that epa-file handles symmetric case specially.  See the
third paragraph of (info "(pgg) Prerequisites").

- As I said many times before (but you don't seem to understand),
epa-file.el is an application and epg.el is a library.  Changes to
epa-file.el are easier to be approved than ones to epg.el.  So patches
are welcome ;-)
--
Daiki Ueno