Re: files.el: Once again impossible to turn off dir-settings

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: files.el: Once again impossible to turn off dir-settings
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:42:19 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> (setq vc-ignore-dir-regexp
>> "\\`\\([\\/][\\/]\\|/net/\\|/home/\\|/afs/\\)\\'")
>> Notice the addition of /home above  -- in my case /home is nfs
>> mounted.
>
> NFS mounting as such is normally not a problem.  So could you explain
> exactly how is /home mounted?  Is it an autofs mount?  Do accesses to
> /home/foobar automatically trigger access to some network server (even
> if /home/foobar doesn't actually exist)?

I don't know if this is what T. V. Raman is using, but I have experience
of a setup where moving up the directory hierachy eventually leads to
extreme slowness.  When (say) your home directory is mounted on AFS (a
distributeed network file system), moving up the AFS file hierachy
eventually brings you to the /afs root directory.  This directory is
populated by literally thousands of files, each of which on a different
server (each is a different AFS cell).

Doing something like `ls' in this directory can take minutes.

(I don't use this setup anymore, though; this was on a campus network
where AFS was widely used.)