Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:47:10 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Richard M Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>     As a result, now the executable is 10,671,313 bytes on
>     GNU/Linux.  It's still 1.6M bytes larger than Emacs 22, but
>     I'm not sure it's worth making more effort to reduce it.

> Thanks forn doing the work to shrink it.

> It is no disaster to be 1.6 meg bigger.  But I think is worth some
> effort to try to find where that 1.6 meg goes in order to see if there
> is an easy idea for substantial more savings.  If there is an easy way,
> it will be worth doing.

At least, temacs itself is 680K bytes larger.  The new
charset.c mallocs 260K bytes for temporary work.  It is
freed just before dumping, but it is uncertain whether it is
surely returned to the system or not.  In addition, many of
preloaded Lisp files have grown.

I guess the growth is not because of single change but
because of summing up of many small changes.

Of course, someone who has a time to investigate it is
welcome.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden