RE: ^M in the info files

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ^M in the info files
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:28:34 -0800

> From: Stefan Monnier Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:19 PM
> >> How would inhibit-null-byte-detection work for info files?
> >
> > For instance, by modifying info-insert-file-contents to bind
> > that variable to t while reading a file.
>
> An alternative to inhibit-null-byte-detection would be something like
> inhibit-coding-systems which would contain a list of coding
> systems (or maybe coding categories?) we know we don't want to use.

Whatever happened to this thread and the associated bugs: #876, #1117, #1284?

It sounds like there were alternative proposals about how to fix this, but there
was no discussion to try to reach a consensus or a decision. Is that where
things were left?

Meanwhile, it's still impossible to use the index in Info manuals on Windows,
and it's impossible to use some manuals (e.g. Viper) at all.