Re: A note about Antinews

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A note about Antinews
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:20:23 +0200

> From: Richard M Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 04:17:25 -0500
>
> Since the purpose of Antinews is to help people use the previous Emacs
> version, there is usually no need to mention features that are simply
> absent in that version.  That situation will be clear enough to users
> without help from the manual.
>
> For instance, this
>
>     @item
>     Emacs can no longer be started as a daemon.  We decided that having an
>     Emacs sitting silently in the background with no visual manifestation
>     anywhere in sight is too confusing.
>
> may not need mentioning, because --daemon will give an error message
> saying it's not implemented, and other cases aren't affected.

I didn't add this item, just the second sentence.  But looking through
anti.texi in previous releases (21.4 and 22.3), I see quite a few
entries about features that ``were removed'' or ``no longer exist''.

I agree that, in general, ``missing'' features need less attention
that those that behave differently, but I wouldn't say we shouldn't
mention the former ones at all.