.emacs.d/tramp - written/touched each time you exit Emacs?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: .emacs.d/tramp - written/touched each time you exit Emacs?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:03:32 -0800

Dunno if this helps or is important, but I just fired up Emacs 23 (with my
libraries, not emacs -Q), opened Info and a couple files, and then exited Emacs.

While Emacs was exiting, I noticed a very brief message about Tramp - too quick
for me to read (which is not good, BTW). I did not access any remote files or
even try to during the brief session. As far as I know, I made no use of Tramp
whatsoever. AFAIK, my own code does not load or use Tramp behind the scene.

Curious, I looked around for a file related to Tramp and discovered
.emacs.d/tramp, which had just been updated. But the file content is nothing
new. I haven't used Tramp in a long time (I've always had problems getting it to
work on Windows), and there doesn't seem to be anything new in this file. The
only thing that might be new (I'm unfamiliar with the old content) is the last
line:

("started" t)))

I tried another session of Emacs and saw the same thing - the file `tramp' was
touched when I exited Emacs, but the content looks identical.

Are we perhaps writing or touching this file systematically each time Emacs
exits? If so, is that necessary?

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-11-24 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/g/include
-fno-crossjumping'