Re: dbus library functions

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: dbus library functions
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 06:40:48 +0100

address@hidden (Mark A. Hershberger) writes:

> I'm interested in making a library of common dbus services available in
> Emacs.
>
> Three logical services would be Notify, On Screen Display, and Avahi.
> Perhaps some of the power management information available via DBus
> would be useful to battery.el, as well.
>
> So, two questions:
>
> 1. Would building Emacs Lisp functions to encapsulate some of the DBus
>    information be useful to include in the core?

There are already some of them: xesam.el, zeroconf.el.

> 2. Would it be better to create separate libraries (e.g. notify.el,
>    osd.el, avahi.el) or a single one (e.g. freedesktop-dbus.el) for
>    these functions?

I believe, separate libraries are the better approach. And zeroconf.el
*IS* your planned avahi.el.

I was thinking about writing something like notify.el, but other
projects had priority. osd.el might be useful, too.

Anyway, we have feature freeze, so I assume you must postpone your
proposals until after-the-release. I have also some libraries in the
queue, which wait for that (xesam-debbugs.el - an interface to the Emacs
bug tracking system; collabora.el - support for collaborative editing;
tramp-gvs.el - using Tramp via the gvfs daemon).

Btw, it would be great, if you could comment the existing D-Bus based
packages, especially zeroconf.el. I didn't receive so much feedback
until now.

> Thanks,
>
> Mark.

Best regards, Michael.