Re: hash-table-{to, from}-alist

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: hash-table-{to, from}-alist
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 08:27:18 -0600

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 01:13:49 +0100 Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:

AS> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I really wish I could write all this in ELisp :)

AS> That should be fairly easy by introducing a variable, say,
AS> hash-table-reader-function and just calling its value when set (and
AS> bailing out if not).  That can then be implemented fully in Lisp.

Yes, I considered that, but I'm potentially reading thousands of entries
so I wanted to keep the code as fast as possible.

Splitting the code into an ELisp setup phase and a C fast data filler is
probably the easiest solution if I go that route, but I have to say I
enjoyed my trip in the C side of Emacs so I'd like to figure out the C
way to do what I proposed.  Specifically, converting a C LispObject
holding the symbol "test" to the symbol ":test" without hard-coding, and
passing an array of LispObject elements to make-hash-table, are my main
issues right now.

Ted