Re: multi-threaded Emacs

From: Florian Beck
Subject: Re: multi-threaded Emacs
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 00:10:32 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> If "concurrent threads" means "threads that can only switch where the
>> program lets them", they are very useful in Emacs for the sake of multiple
>> terminals.
>
> I rarely use multiple terminals, and when I use them, the current
> restrictions are mostly bearable.  OTOH I very often would like to keep
> using my Emacs while it's byte-compiling some files, or while Gnus is
> fetching some newsgroup.

As a user, I would love to see asynchronous processes.

However, I would also like to see redisplay+font-locking making use of
the four to eight processor cores that will become standard during emacs24's
lifetime. Font-locking is a powerful and quite user-accessible feature
which is currently limited by processor speed.

--
Florian Beck