Re: multi-threaded Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: multi-threaded Emacs
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:14:16 -0500

> Yes, I was referring to the cooperating threads model using a QUIT
> macro.

Actually, yielding in QUIT will take a lot of work.  It's definitely not
"cooperative" seen from Elisp's point of view (where QUIT can be run
implicitly all over the place).
By cooperative thread model, I mean that we can switch context either
when we already do (i.e. when waiting for user/process/network input),
or when running some new `yield' Elisp function.

> How can it be used by gnus while fetching new data?  Will it
> give the control to another thread immediately after the trasfer begins?

As written above (and earlier as well), Emacs will switch threads when
waiting for network input.

        Stefan