Re: "system-process-attributes" function name

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "system-process-attributes" function name
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 06:21:25 +0200

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 12:40:06 +0900
>
> I just noticed this new function (from a msg by Thierry Volpiatto), and
> wonder -- why the funny prefix "system-"?

Because unfortunately the "process-" prefix is used by many Emacs
primitives that only handle Emacs subprocesses, not just any arbitrary
process running on the machine.

I agree that it is slightly awkward, but I thought confusing that with
Emacs subprocess support was a greater evil, and at least Roland
Winker, the author of proced.el, which is the primary user of these
new primitives, suggested the same names.

> [I haven't looked at the other "system-process" functions, but
> a similar comment might apply to them.]

There's only one more: list-system-processes.