Re: hash-table-{to, from}-alist

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: hash-table-{to, from}-alist
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 15:34:54 +0900

>  > > +              Lisp_Object ht = Fmake_hash_table (param_count, params);
>  > > +              Lisp_Object key = Qnil;
>  >
>  > We recently decided it was OK to use ANSI C syntax for function headers,
>  > but I don't think ANSI C allows such variable declarations in the middle
>  > of a block.
>
> ISTR that C99 does allow those declarations (which is a GoodThang[tm]
> IMHO), but C89 definitely does not allow them (and portability is a
> GooderThang[tm], so let's not do that).

BTW, is it now OK to use initializers with Lisp_Object variable declarations?

As I understand it, those used to be proscribed in emacs because they
didn't work correctly in some case (IIRC, some ancient IBM compiler
generated incorrect code), but enforcement has always been spotty, and I
expect the codebase is so chock full of such initializations now that
it's very unlikely it's really still a problem...

-Miles

--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.