Re: y-or-n-p and emacs --daemon

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: y-or-n-p and emacs --daemon
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 08:15:11 -0500

>> Ideally, either the question comes before detaching and it should then
>> behave as it does in -batch,
> I think that this is unaccaptable.  A daemon shouldn't be interactive
> before detaching.  Besides, there might not be any terminal associated
> with stdin, so this doesn't solve the problem for this case.

My comment was not intended to imply that this will solve all problems.
But it will at least make the code work as close to its intended
behavior as possible.

Now it will indeed be the case that the daemon will often be started
non-interactively, in which case any form of interactivity is
undesirable.  This is a separate problem.  I'm not sure how best to
solve it, tho if we can detect that stdin=/dev/null (i.e. when we reach
EOF on stdin) we might want to signal an error, like you propose.

        Stefan