Re: window-system-version on Windows

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: window-system-version on Windows
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:56:51 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > > The 3rd version of the native Windows GUI for Emacs?  You can
 > > > see that it's 11 for the X11 GUI.
 > >
 > > Yeah, but for example mule-diags concatenates window-system and
 > > window-system-version to form "x11". On Windows it outputs
 > > "Window-system: w323", which is quite meaningless.
 >
 > That'd be a bug, I'd say.  How about "x, version 11" instead?

"X11" is the standard way to refer to "The X Window System, version
11".  "x11" case-mangled but interpretable; "x, version 11" causes me
to double-take.

There are political reasons for not using Win32 like everybody else
does, I know, but why let that screw up a perfectly good custom for a
free windowing system?

Also, you phrase "3rd version ... for Emacs" is somewhat ambiguous,
but I'd take that as "the third try at a Windows GUI by the Emacs
project", not as "Microsoft's third version".  OTOH, "X11" most
definitely means "version 11 as defined by the MIT/X Consortium".