Re: window-system-version on Windows

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: window-system-version on Windows
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:54:36 +0100

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 04:56, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

> "X11" is the standard way to refer to "The X Window System, version
> 11".  "x11" case-mangled but interpretable; "x, version 11" causes me
> to double-take.
>
> There are political reasons for not using Win32 like everybody else
> does, I know, but why let that screw up a perfectly good custom for a
> free windowing system?

A mountain out of a molehill, IMHO. window-system-version is almost
unused. The concatenation of window-system with window-system-version
is only used (in the Emacs sources) in the output of the quite
uncommon mule-diag command. If the user perusing its output does not
understand what "Window system: x, version 11" means, he will have a
hard time grasping the much more obscure info that follows about
fonsets, charsets, etc. On the other hand, the previous "Window
system: w323" was quite unhelpful for Windows users. I though it was
some kind of error and had to go looking at the source to see where it
came from.

One way or the other, this will affect the... what, 1% of users who
will ever do M-x mule-diag? ;-)

    Juanma