Re: multi-threaded Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: multi-threaded Emacs
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:10:19 +0200

> From: Paul R <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:42:04 +0100
>
> I hope this would allow a better on-the-fly processing of text as well.
> I'm thinking of spell checking, code validation (this is called flymake
> in emacs IIRC), or even a smoother syntax highlighting.

Any Emacs feature which, like spell-checking, uses a subprocess to do
its job, already uses a kind of non-preemptive multi-threading built
into wait_reading_process_output and its subroutines.  This is because
Emacs checks all the possible sources of input, including sub-process
output, when it is idle.