Re: multi-threaded Emacs

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: multi-threaded Emacs
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 11:35:09 +0100

Eli> Any Emacs feature which, like spell-checking, uses a subprocess to
Eli> do its job, already uses a kind of non-preemptive multi-threading
Eli> built into wait_reading_process_output and its subroutines. This is
Eli> because Emacs checks all the possible sources of input, including
Eli> sub-process output, when it is idle.

Indeed, I tried flyspell again and I felt it a lot more responsive than
I was expecting. With threads this could be extended to features not
relying on external processes.

Also, fontlocking is immediate except for multiline matches, which only
happens when idle for some time. I can feel it, but maybe the major
modes I'm using don't make proper use of fontlocking feature.

--
  Paul