Re: multi-threaded Emacs

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: multi-threaded Emacs
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 08:23:51 +0530

Hello Stephen,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
> dhruva writes:
>
>  > I hope there will be a branch with this code sometime soon being
>  > updated from HEAD constantly. I will then be able to play with this
>  > along with the bleeding edge features on HEAD.
>
> Why don't you just make one?  I'm seriously asking; there are several
> tools such as cvs2svn and tailor.  Those two are both written in
> Python, which means they should be fairly portable, including to
> Windows.

I have not used cvs2svn myself but suggested it and have seen it being
used at my previous place of work (moving ~10 years of CVS history to
svn and it went fine though I was told of issues in doing an
incremental update. They ended up doing a one time conversion and
stopped usage of CVS. Like a flip switch approach!).

> Have you tried one or more of these and failed?

Well, the point is to have a branch where the main author can push and
I could pull. I can always have a patch queue (as in mercurial) or do
it through some extra wizardry in git. I do not want to get into
merging changes that are not mine and mess up and start reporting
problems that are truly my own.

Off topic:
I have tried tailor, since I work on p4 at work, I have tried git-p4
and have developed my very own p4 to hg. I find tailor to be very
flaky. Like you correctly mentioned in a different thread that it
needs care, I ran out of patience. However, I did contribute a minor
fix to make it work with newer hg (sometime back).
 To summarize, based on my experience, I find tools that are part of
git are quite robust (among the few I have used or tested).

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!