comment-dwim has no behavior to comment out the current line without a r

From: Will Farrington
Subject: comment-dwim has no behavior to comment out the current line without a region
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 03:28:29 -0500

Resending this because it seems to have gotten lost along the way (at least from what I could tell):

The subject states my specific objection to the current behavior.

Yes, for many languages, it takes the same number of keystrokes to insert a comment character; however, there are languages/modes where this is *not* true (for example, C89 or anything based on XML). Additionally, it makes sense to have comment-dwim handle all cases of managing commented material and comments.

The proposed diff adds the following additional behavior:

If the point is at `line-beginning-position' (and the region is inactive), call `comment-region'
 on the whole line (unless the line consists of comments, in which
 case it calls `uncomment-region').

The patch is attached below: