Re: Ruby mode added

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Ruby mode added
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:06:23 -0500

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> Not exactly a problem, but isn't the preferred style for the
> auto-mode-alist regexp to use \\' instead of $ ?

Yes, fixed.

> What's the latest on the policy for adding stuff to auto-mode-alist and
> interpreter-mode-alist?  Should it go in files.el or be autoloaded?

I have not thought about this issue.  Currently, both methods are in
use, but this is not enough of a problem to warrant attention.  Frankly,
there are many more urgent things to work on.

> Not ruby related, but given we are talking about auto-mode-alist:
> shouldn't nxml be added to it somehow?

We already have an xml-mode, which is more lightweight.  It may be that
nxml-mode is so much better that we should simply make it the default,
but I'd prefer to leave this decision till after the release.

(One reason not to make nxml-mode the default is that it is apparently
unmaintained.)