Re: Bugs cannot be updated if they are archived?

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Bugs cannot be updated if they are archived?
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:08:27 -0800

unarchive 119
forcemerge 119 1562
# dunno if this has actually been fixed or not...
reopen 119
thanks

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Drew Adams wrote:
> It was (and is) not clear to me what that means. Is it archived or
> unarchived?

It's archived.

> What does archiving (or unarchiving) mean?

Archiving means that the bug has been put in a separate location to
avoid cluttering the main view.

Bugs that are closed and have been inactive for more than 28 days are
archived.

> The heading that it appears under on that "archived and unarchived
> reports" page is "Resolved bugs - Normal bugs". What does "resolved"
> mean?

Resolved means that it has been fixed.

> I replied to a message that said that the bug had been fixed, by
> stating that it was still not fixed. But that reply apparently never
> affected the bug status.

The bug tracking system is not a full featured natural language
processing system, nor has it attained sentience. Someone has to mark
a bug as not being fixed. You can do this using the control interface
to the bug reporting system, as I have done with this email.
Otherwise, the human beings reading the mail has to do it.

> Whatever the correct diagnosis of the tracker status and problems
> might be, bug #119 has not been fixed, and it does not appear among
> the Outstanding bugs.

So instead of filing more bugs, reopen the original bug with more
information. See http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/server-control for
more information.

Don Armstrong

--
Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for
the people.