Re: Bugs cannot be updated if they are archived?

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Bugs cannot be updated if they are archived?
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:31:23 -0800

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Drew Adams wrote:
> > > It was (and is) not clear to me what that means. Is it archived
> > > or unarchived?
> >
> > It's archived.
>
> So you click the link "archived and unarchived reports" to see
> reports that are archived? Not too clear.

You click on it to see "archived and unarchived reports"...

> Actually, it seems that clicking that link shows all bugs, but that
> initially only the outstanding (or the unarchived?) bugs are shown.
> If so, that's confusing. Searching initially will not show an
> archived bug, but searching the same page after clicking the link
> shows it.

The default is to only show unarchived bugs. If you want to see both,
or only archived bugs, you can select that at the bottom of the page.

> Your "separate location" seems to be on the same page, but hidden
> initially (?).

The separate location is a separate place on the filesystem.

> Is `closed' then a superset of `archived'?

Yes.

> Or does `archived' include some stuff that is not `closed'?

No.

> > > The heading that it appears under on that "archived and
> > > unarchived reports" page is "Resolved bugs - Normal bugs". What
> > > does "resolved" mean?
> >
> > Resolved means that it has been fixed.
>
> Not in English, it doesn't. ;-)

    4. To determine or decide in purpose; to make ready in mind;
        to fix; to settle; as, he was resolved by an unexpected
        event.
        [1913 Webster]

> I see. I thought that any followup email, especially from the bug
> filer, would be sufficient to keep a bug open (or reopen it).

It'll reset the archiving time, but it won't reopen it. Manual
intervention is required for that.

> > So instead of filing more bugs, reopen the original bug with more
> > information. See http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/server-control
> > for more information.
>
> I would have, if I knew how.

See the link above.

> However, I've also been explicitly told to open a new bug for bugs
> that have been closed but that might still present a problem -
> including for this bug, a couple of hours ago!

Well, whoever is telling you that is making more work for themselves
and/or others.

> Whatever. I'm all for reopening an existing bug instead of just
> creating a new pointer bug. Just tell me how.

See the link above.

> Oh - I see - that the URL works in Google Chrome. So your site appears to be
> limited to particular browsers (and excludes the most commonly used browser).

If the spawn of redmond is unable to properly handle a simple HTTP GET
request, it's not my problem. Presumably they can provide support.

Don Armstrong

--
He was wrong. Nature abhors dimensional abnormalities, and seals them
neatly away so that they don't upset people. Nature, in fact, abhors a