RE: Bugs cannot be updated if they are archived?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: Bugs cannot be updated if they are archived?
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:00:31 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > I see. I thought that any followup email, especially from the bug
 > filer, would be sufficient to keep a bug open (or reopen it).

Some systems do work that way.  Some don't.  "He who does the work
makes the decisions."

 > I clicked that URL link in my mail client and got this message from my Web
 > browser:
 >
 >  "Internet Explorer cannot download server-control from
 >   emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com. Internet Explorer was not able
 >   to open this Internet site. The requested site is either
 >   unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."
 >
 > Where can I find the instructions for reopening etc. bugs? Is there
 > another URL, which I might be able to get to?

That URL works fine with any browser, including IE I'm sure.  That
message is highly unlikely to indicate a *browser* problem; it usually
means that the DNS lookup failed.  This regularly happens to me on Mac
as well as Windows (with hosts that are provably up, simply by routing
around the Mac- or Windows-induced failures).  My guess is that their
resolvers cache failures aggressively and apparently assume that if
you miss the first time and try again, it's user brain damage rather
than a temporary network glitch, so they don't bother to try the DNS.

 > Oh - I see - that the URL works in Google Chrome. So your site
 > appears to be limited to particular browsers (and excludes the most
 > commonly used browser).

There's nothing Don can do about a nameservice failure in your system,
so I don't see any justification for your tone.