Re: prefix arg when mouse clicking on header

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: prefix arg when mouse clicking on header
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:33:46 +0100

On Sun Dec 14 2008 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >   (interactive (list last-input-event (or last-prefix-arg 'no-arg)))
> > seems to work. But is this the right thing? Why last-prefix-arg
> > instead of current-prefix-arg? Certainly, this is consistent with
> > the code letter P being ignored by interactive.
>
> Not sure why that is.  Maybe some code somewhere catches the click, does
> some processing and pushes events back on unread-command-events, so the
> real code is only run on the second round?

This sounds very reasonable, but fixing this goes much beyond my
knowledge of emacs. Should I submit a bug report so that this topic
is properly entered into the system?

> > Also I was wondering what is the proper replacement for the code
> > letter e used by interactive when the list is constructed by hand.
>
> AFAIK it's last-nonmenu-event.

Then I find it confusing that various packages use last-input-event,
and I'd greatly appreciate if someone who knows about these things
could document them.

> I tend to think that call-interactively should use a table mapping
> letters to Elisp code, so it'd be easy to see which code
> corresponds to while letter.

That would be great!

Roland