Re: bug in server-start

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: bug in server-start
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:00:49 -0800 (PST)

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

  > > Why don't you explain what part of what I wrote was unclear?
  >
  > The part where you consider that
  >
  >    Server "server" is already running
  >
  > (while talking about server.el) is confusing but apparently you don't
  > consider confusing

  >    Could not start daemon "server"

What exactly made you think that I said the above message was not
confusing???

  > if passed --daemon=server; or, now that I think of it,

Yes, if the user makes the conscious choice of passing an argument to
--daemon, then you can mention it in the error message.  If she doesn't,
then there's little point of doing so, especially when the message is so
short and unexplanatory.

The take home message here is that the error messages need a bit more
thought put into them.