Re: bug in server-start

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: bug in server-start
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:00:29 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 19:51, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

> Again, can you please point out where exactly I said that the message
> you cited was not confusing???

You didn't exactly said that, of course. You said that the message in
server.el was confusing, and that you supported adding the server name
to the error message when the user passed it explicitly. I assumed
that you meant that you don't think the message is confusing when the
user has passed the server name. Apparently what you mean is that when
the user passes the server name, the error message will sometimes be
confusing, but you don't care because the user gets what he asked for.

> You haven't yet given any explanation why not.

Yes, I've done it: I've said that I think error messages should be
informative, and that knowing the server name is useful IMHO. Perhaps
you don't use multiple servers, or if you do, you don't use the
default "server". I do.

AFAICS, your explanation of why you oppose this is "Most users won't
know, nor care about that", which is a generalization, too. You don't
know what most users know or care, any more than I do.

    Juanma