Re: bug in server-start

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: bug in server-start
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:28:26 -0800 (PST)

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 19:51, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:
  >
  > > Again, can you please point out where exactly I said that the message
  > > you cited was not confusing???
  >
  > You didn't exactly said that, of course.

Then PLEASE STOP making statements about what I said when that is
clearly not true.

For the record, I do think that this is unhelpful:

(display-warning 'server (format "Server %S is already running" server-name))

Given that the 23.1 behavior is different than what happened before,
this will not help users easily find out what is wrong.

  > You said that the message in
  > server.el was confusing, and that you supported adding the server name
  > to the error message when the user passed it explicitly. I assumed
  > that you meant that you don't think the message is confusing when the
  > user has passed the server name. Apparently what you mean is that when
  > the user passes the server name, the error message will sometimes be
  > confusing, but you don't care because the user gets what he asked for.
  >
  > > You haven't yet given any explanation why not.
  >
  > Yes, I've done it: I've said that I think error messages should be
  > informative, and that knowing the server name is useful IMHO. Perhaps
  > you don't use multiple servers, or if you do, you don't use the
  > default "server".

PLEASE STOP making statements here about what I do or do not, when you
have no information to support your suppositions.  Thank you.

  > AFAICS, your explanation of why you oppose this is "Most users won't
  > know, nor care about that", which is a generalization, too. You
  > don't know what most users know or care, any more than I do.

There's a strong hint in the fact that server-name is a defvar with no
docstring (not a defcustom).
I designed --daemon to be very easy to use, I want the error messages to
be easy to understand/debug too.