Re: bug in server-start

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: bug in server-start
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:46:42 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 20:28, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

> Then PLEASE STOP making statements about what I said when that is
> clearly not true.

Then PLEASE STOP trying to turn this discussion into another confrontation.

> (display-warning 'server (format "Server %S is already running" server-name))
>
> Given that the 23.1 behavior is different than what happened before,
> this will not help users easily find out what is wrong.

What will help the users find out what is wrong? Not giving them a warning?

> PLEASE STOP making statements here about what I do or do not, when you
> have no information to support your suppositions.  Thank you.

PLEASE STOP using that tone, and PLEASE LOOK for "perhaps" in a dictionary.

> There's a strong hint in the fact that server-name is a defvar with no
> docstring (not a defcustom).

Nonsense. The manual clearly says that you can run several servers
provided that you use different names, and before --daemon (and even
now, on Windows) there's no user command to set the server-name. If
anything, perhaps it should be a defcustom, or at the very least have
a docstring.

> I designed --daemon to be very easy to use, I want the error messages to
> be easy to understand/debug too.

And the difference between

   Could not start daemon

and

  Could not start daemon "server"

(or, 'Could not start daemon named "server"')

makes the error messages difficult to understand/debug? How so?

    Juanma