Re: Bugs against emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Bugs against emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:39:06 -0800

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> For what it's worth, I'd much rather prefer you don't touch reply-to
> unless really necessary, so I wonder what is the reason for fiddling
> with reply-to.

Because a reply shouldn't go anywhere else but to the user who sent it
and the bug itself.

> >> If "reply-to-all" sends to addresses to which the reply should
> >> *never* be sent, then the error is not in the use of rely-to-all,
> >> but in the headers of the email to which the user is replying.
>
> > No, the error is in the use of reply-to-all which include To: in
> > addition to addresses listed in Reply-To:. The only way to work
> > around these sorts of idiocies is to totally strip the To: header
> > entirely, which is fundamentally broken.
>
> But in *no* circumstance is it right to reply to a Debbugs message
> by sending the reply to bug-gnu-emacs or address@hidden or
> emacs-pretest-bug or bug-submit-list, so clearly these addresses
> should not appear in any of the headers that might be used by "reply
> to all".

That would require ripping out To: from the message, and setting it to
something entirely bogus, as I said originally. It's not like I don't
understand what the problem is here, why it's caused, or what it would
take to work around broken assumptions by users.

Don Armstrong

--
Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their
faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord