Re: bogus binding of C-w in isearch editing mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: bogus binding of C-w in isearch editing mode
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 03:19:47 +0200

>>> This was intended for a gradual transition from the old word-search binding
>>> to the normal kill-region binding (declaring it obsolete in the next release
>>> and rebinding it in another release).
>
>> That's reasonable enough in the normal isearch interaction loop,
>> but not in isearch _editing mode_.
>
>> In editing mode isearch simply shouldn't be binding C-w at all.
>
> You're right, but C-w in edit mode was IIUC the only way to switch to
> word-search (!?!).
>
> I wouldn't mind switch to a normal C-w, personally.

Done.  This half-finished change of replacing an obsolete `C-w' in the
isearch editing minibuffer with `M-s w' was already mentioned in NEWS in
the section "Incompatible Editing Changes".  So no more changes for an
incremental word search are necessary in NEWS.  I only added a few words
about starting a *nonincremental* word search using `M-s w RET' and
`M-s w C-r RET' instead of `C-s RET C-w' and `C-r RET C-w' (with other
related fixes).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/