Re: Emacs daemon dies at Xorg crash

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Emacs daemon dies at Xorg crash
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:14:07 -0800 (PST)

Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> writes:

  > > It works fine for me on a Fedora 10 machine when configuring with
  > > --with-x-toolkit=athena. Killing X does not kill the daemon when
  > > either no frames are open, tty frames are open, X11 frames or tty
  > > and X11 frames are open.
  >
  > I also depends on the desktop / window manager. Here it dies when
  > Gnome or Xfce4 are terminated (only in the "no frames" case).
  > No problem with IceWM though.

Of those environments, I only have Gnome, and I don't see any problems
with it.

  > Below I include a gdb backtrace. I can provide further information if
  > necessary.

Can you try the patch at:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/22201

  > #0  Fsignal (error_symbol=0x84863b9, data=0x874fcfd) at eval.c:1640

Can you do
M-x load-library RET server.el RET
before producing the backtrace?

  > #1  0x0824c780 in xsignal (error_symbol=0x84863b9, data=0x874fcfd) at
eval.c:1772
  > #2  0x081f8844 in report_file_error (string=0x82e8afa "make client process
failed", data=0x874fd45) at fileio.c:277

This is strange, this error seems to occur when something tries to connect to
the server.  Hmmm...